- The only way to rename a notebook in OneNote is to use the OneDrive website.
- The OneNote for PC app also allows you to change the “display name” of a laptop, which changes its name only in that app.
- Once you rename a OneNote notebook, you may need to sync the app again before it will open.
When you create a new OneNote notebook, the most important option you have to decide on is its name. This name is saved in the app and in your OneNote account online, and you can change it at any time, but you can’t change it. whatever you want.
How to rename a notebook in OneNote
Each version of the OneNote app lets you create, delete, and organize notebooks. But for some reason, no version of OneNote allows you to rename your notebooks.
To rename a notebook, you’ll need to sign in to your OneDrive account online. OneDrive is the cloud storage service that contains all the files you create with Microsoft 365 Apps, along with a few others.
one. Open a web browser and go to the OneDrive website. You’ll need to sign in to the same Microsoft account you use with OneNote.
two. Under My filesopen the documents file. You should find a list of all your OneNote notebooks. Alternatively, find the notebook you want by searching for it using the search bar at the top of the window.
3. Once you’ve found the notebook you’re trying to rename, hover your mouse over it and click the empty circle in the top right corner, or tap and hold on it. This will select it.
Four. In the toolbar at the top of the screen, click or tap Rename. If you’re using a phone, you may first need to tap the three dots on the toolbar to find this option.
5. Give your notebook a new name and then select Rename.
Once you’ve saved the new name, you may need to open a OneDrive app and re-sync all of your laptops before using them again.
Renaming a notebook will also stop sharing it with any of your collaborators, meaning they will lose all access. You’ll need to re-share the notebook with anyone who needs it.
How to change the display name of a OneNote notebook
Each OneNote notebook also has a display name, which is just the name they appear under in their specific OneNote app. You can change this name using the PC version of OneNote, but remember that you’ll only be changing the name in that app, not anywhere else.
one. Open OneNote on your PC and open a notebook.
two. Click on the notebook name in the upper left corner to open the list of all your notebooks.
3. Right-click the notebook whose name you want to rename, and then select Properties.
Four. Change your name using the Display name option, then click OKAY.